THE Scottish and UK governments have listened to campaigners and condemned the killing of journalists in Palestine after Israel assassinated two this week.
Hossam Shabat, of Al Jazeera Mubasher, and Mohammed Mansour, from Palestine Today, were killed by Israeli airstrikes within hours of each other on March 24.
Campaigners demanded that both Scotland’s governments condemn the targeted attacks, which Israel has confirmed.
Wael Shawish of the Scottish Palestine Society said: “Despite the repeated calls by the UN, the press federations, and human rights organisations to protect journalists and for Israel to respect international law, it is able to carry on with its murderous campaign.
“What makes it worse is the silence of our governments in Holyrood and Westminster and their refusal to end the sale of arms used to kill journalists who like Shabat and Mansour have paid with their lives to be the eyes and ears of the world.”
Estimates vary as to how many journalists Israel has killed in its bombardment of Gaza, which has also seen foreign media prevented from entering the devastated territory.
The Committee to Protect Journalists estimated that 170 journalists have been killed since October 7, while the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate puts the number at 208.
Shabat, 23, had prepared a statement in case of his death, saying: “If you’re reading this, it means I have been killed – most likely targeted – by the Israeli occupation forces.”
Mansour was killed in his home in Khan Younis, along with his wife and young child.
Israel has claimed that both men were “terrorists”, saying Shabat was a member of Hamas but failing to give further detail about Mansour.
Shabat was one of six journalists branded terrorists by the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) last year, a charge he vigorously denied.
The evidence presented by the IDF for Shabat’s alleged membership of a Hamas anti-tank battalion did not provide a date for his enrolment.
In a video message last year, the Al Jazeera journalist accused Israel of “blatant and belligerent attempt to transform us, the last witnesses in the north, into killable targets”.
Speaking about Shabat, Gerry Coutts, of Scotland for Palestine, said: “As a prominent Palestinian journalist reporting on Israel, he, like his colleagues, was aware of the target on his back.
“It’s extremely harrowing to know someone so young knew of the dangers he faced for doing his job and in anticipation of his death had prepared a statement and call to the world. His call must be heard.”
A UK Government spokesperson said: “It is deeply saddening to hear of further loss of life in Gaza. It is vital that – in all scenarios – civilians are protected, including journalists, who must be able to do their essential work in safety.
“The UK is clear that all parties must re-engage with negotiations to allow a surge of aid into Gaza, the release of the remaining hostages, and secure a permanent end to this conflict.”
A Scottish Government spokesperson said: “The Scottish Government condemns the killing of journalists in Gaza. It is imperative that journalists are able to carry out their vital work in Gaza unimpeded.
“The Scottish Government has repeatedly called for an immediate ceasefire, the unconditional release of all hostages, and unimpeded access of humanitarian aid.
"It is vital that the ceasefire is re-established and we see progress towards a just and lasting peace.”