Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Eelemarni Close-Brown

Northern NSW braces for heavy rain as Queensland flooding forecast to move south

Rescue workers near the town of Adavale in south-west Queensland on 28 March. The BoM said heavy rainfall and flooding in Queensland is starting to impact northern areas of New South Wales.
Rescue workers near the town of Adavale in south-west Queensland on 28 March. The BoM said heavy rainfall and flooding in Queensland is starting to impact northern areas of New South Wales. Photograph: Queensland Fire Department/AFP/Getty Images

Hundreds of emergency workers have been deployed in northern New South Wales as the impact of heavy rain and flooding in Queensland moves south.

The mid north coast, northern rivers and northern tablelands regions were bracing for moderate to heavy rain, with forecasters on Wednesday warning of swollen rivers flooding.

NSW State Emergency Services (SES) said it had activated more than 750 personnel, high clearance vehicles and flood rescue teams in the state’s north.

The SES was mobilising in response to heavy rain forecast on Wednesday night, particularly along the Queensland-NSW border, with 20-40mm of rain likely.

The Bureau of Meteorology’s Dean Narramore said a band of rain had moved from western and central Queensland to the south-east of the state and north-east NSW. Those regions were at risk of flooding, Narramore said, with 30-50mm of rainfall possible.

Catchments in northern NSW likely to be affected by minor flooding included the Richmond, Wilsons, Clarence, Bellinger and Upper Macintyre rivers.

The NSW SES assistant commissioner, Sean Kearns, warned flash flooding was a real risk.

“The catchments in this part of the state are already saturated, so any rain we see tonight could lead to flash flooding, which can occur quite quickly,” Kearns said.

Sixteen public schools have so far been closed.

A spokesperson for the NSW education department said six schools in the Narrabri local government area were closed, with more closures possible.

“Following a request and advice from the SES, a number of schools in the Narrabri LGA are not operating due to rising flood waters and safety risks in the area,” they said.

“Where possible schools are arranging options for students to work from home to minimise disruption to their learning”.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.