A gang forced their way into an elderly widow's home and sprayed her in the face with an aerosol can before snatching her wedding ring from her.
The four masked robbers then made their way to another house, where they threatened to kidnap the female occupant's children. When caught after leading police on a 90mph chase in the wrong direction down one of the city's busiest roads, two of the raiders told officers that they were innocently out on a walk from their home - which was located 11 miles away.
Liverpool Crown Court heard today, Monday, that the "team of four close knit individuals" - John Toohey, Paddy Doran, Philip Purcell and John Maloney - posed as workmen when targeting the first victim at her address on Burbo Bank Road in Blundellsands on June 4 this year. They told the 76-year-old that there was an "emergency" and that they needed to shut off the gas and water supply to the property due to roadworks.
READ MORE: Updates as David Ungi in court charged with murder of Vinny Waddington seven years later
Frank Dillon, prosecuting, described how they had arrived at the scene in an Audi A4 which had been stolen during a burglary in Shropshire the previous day and was being used on false number plates - with the driver remaining in the car. After the pensioner answered a knock at the door, a man in a face mask and gloves forced his way in followed by two others and told her to sit down and take off her gold ring.
She told the invaders that her son was upstairs, but they were "undeterred". One of the group began pulling the piece of jewellery from her finger and "yanking" a necklace from around her neck.
He then sprayed her in the face with an unknown substance, leaving her "dazed". The burglars then began "ransacking" the upstairs bedrooms, taking a total of £10,000 of jewellery with "considerable sentimental value" - including a Seiko watch which the OAP's late husband had given her on their 25th wedding anniversary.
Then, shortly after 12.30pm, the gang struck again at a house on Cuckoo Lane in Gateacre. The homeowner was washing the dishes when she was confronted by the four men - one of whom punched her in the face and pushed her out of the way.
Her assailants subsequently communicated via "some kind of microphone device" as they turned over the address. Two of her children who were present at the time, aged nine and 12, came downstairs to "see what the commotion" was and the intruders forced the youngsters and their mum into a back room and asked for her passport.
When she told them she did not have one, they said she would "have to choose between her kids and her money, jewellery and passport". One of the defendants even said: "If you don't give me money, I'll take the kids."
Another threatened to punch her daughter. Items taken from this property included three gold bracelets, a watch and a necklace.
Within half an hour, police spotted their car at the Morrisons supermarket on Speke Boulevard. A pursuit ensued, and the vehicle travelled at 90mph against the flow of traffic along the dual carriageway in a successful bid to escape.
The Audi was later found abandoned on Church Road in Hale Village. After a search involving the dogs unit, Doran and Maloney were arrested "within a mile".
They told the PCs that they were "out for a walk from home" 11 miles away. The former said they had been returning there at the time, while the other claimed they were still on the outbound leg.
Meanwhile, Purcell and Toohey were located near to the Mersey along a dirt track off Within Way. The latter was in possession of a number of items which had been taken during the break-ins.

In a statement read out to the court on her behalf, the pensioner - who suffers from mobility issues - said "nobody has the right to enter my home and treat me as they did". Meanwhile, the mother added: "My home does not feel the same.
"I often think I don't want to live there any more. Since the burglary, I find I can't sleep as well as I used to and when I do it's the men's faces I see."
Toohey has eight previous convictions for 15 offences, including dangerous driving and burglary. Ian Morris, defending the 24-year-old dad, told the court that the robberies followed his brother's death in April this year.
He added: "That affected him extremely badly - he turned to alcohol and drug use, and during that hard time he effectively lost himself. He made some poor decisions, which are ultimately his responsibility."
Father-of-six Purcell has eight sets of convictions for 16 offences on his record - including dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking and burglary. Stephen McNally, appearing on the 27-year-old's behalf, said that the "family man" has a son who was born prematurely in February and spent time in intensive care.
He added: "Prior to these offences, he and his family were undergoing a particularly difficult period. It seems to have led Mr Purcell off the rails - he sought solace in alcohol and drugs.
"The combination of these factors led to him being involved in these offences. He is still struggling to come to terms with what he's done."
Doran's six previous convictions include burglary and aggravated vehicle taking. The 25-year-old, who has acted as a carer to his granddad, was recently married at the time of the robberies.
His counsel John Hurlock said: "These offences are horrible in anyone's view. He wants to move out of the area and separate himself from his peer group and start again with his new wife - he has clearly realised there is a crossroads in his life."
Maloney, 34, has 34 previous convictions for offences including possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking, robbery, burglary and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Mr Hurlock, also appeared on his behalf, added: "At the time this offence took place, this defendant was probably at his lowest in that he had a child who - due to complications - died at eight weeks old.
"The fact that something so terrible happened to him isn't an excuse. But it is an explanation as to why the defendant was in the position he found himself in."
All four defendants, of Oil Street, previously admitted two counts of robbery and aggravated vehicle taking and appeared via video to HMP Liverpool - apart from Maloney, who was linked in from HMP Berwyn in North Wales. He was jailed for 15-and-a-half years and handed an additional three years on licence.
Doran was locked up for 14 years and eight months. Both Toohey and Purcell were handed 13 years and 10 months.
Sentencing, Judge David Aubrey KC said: "I'm satisfied that the offence was planned and premeditated and the homes had been targeted. Each of you is a ruthless, callous and determined individual."
The judge also noted references which described Maloney as a "sound bloke" who would "go out of the way to make people happy". But he added: "You victims, past and present, would disagree."
Detective Inspector Steve Byrom, of Merseyside Police's Operation Castle, said: "It is pleasing to see the sentences handed out to this violent group of offenders today. The four men caused significant harm to their victims on the day in question and although the physical injuries were not long-lasting, the psychological effects are profound and we hope this outcome helps with the healing process.
"Following some swift police work the four were detained before they could cause any more harm, and we will continue to investigate all such incidents of violence and the targeting of people in their homes - which should be places of safety. We work hard at Operation Castle to prevent such offences, pursue offenders and protect those people in our communities who may be vulnerable to burglary and other offences at home.
"September's announcement of a collective decision for police officers to attend all residential burglary reports reflects our own stance on burglary for many years. This is why officers are dispatched to all reports of a residential burglary and the attendance of crime scene investigation is also requested.
"The force is also committed to supporting victims - ensuring they know where they can obtain emotional and practical support, and where appropriate, referring victims to specialist support services to help them cope and recover. Operation Castle is a dedicated team which has seen burglaries reduced by 55 per cent since its inception, but that work continues on a daily basis and we will continue to respond to all information given on suspected burglaries in Merseyside.
"We are committed to tackling burglary by not only maximising every opportunity to gather evidence, identify offenders and put them before the courts but also through its partnership approach to prevention."
READ NEXT: Suspect named after man attacked with weapon
'Billy Whizz' gang with connections to Dubai, India and Iran netted £1million
Family had guns stolen from army and lived high life from heroin and crack ring
Swimming goggles slasher, boastful paedophile and takeaway owner jailed
Man faces huge fine or two weeks in jail for failing to appear for jury duty