The death of a rough sleeper just days before Christmas has left people shocked and saddened that such tragedies are still happening on the streets of our city.
The man was discovered in the Northern Quarter early on Wednesday morning. Emergency services raced to the scene at the junction of Copperas Street and William Fairburn Way shortly before 7am, but attempts to save the man were unsuccessful.
The area was taped off whilst police carried out enquiries with a private ambulance later seen arriving at the scene.
READ MORE: Fifty customers rescued from rat-infested counterfeit shop after being 'held against their will'
Detectives say there are believed to be no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of the man who the Manchester Evening News understands had been sleeping rough in the area. His age and no further details about him have yet been released.
A man who works in a building nearby and who saw police and paramedics working on the man as he arrived for work is among those to have expressed his devastation.

“I’ve been told it was the bin men who found him” he said. “There was a wardrobe with a mattress behind it and he was on there.
“I got here about 10 past 7 and there was a paramedic and two police officers working on him. Then not long after they put a sheet over him. There was a woman sat on some stairs nearby who was crying her eyes out.
“After that the tape came out and they started to cordon it all off.It was just really upsetting. It was the last thing I wanted to see. I’m the sort of person that if I see something like that it never leaves me. It stays in my brain.
“You get people sleeping there in that corner, with cardboard boxes underneath them and stuff all the time But I had never seen that guy before. Apparently, someone died in exactly the same spot last year.

“It’s just really sad. I’m gutted for him and his family. So close to Christmas. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.”
The body was discovered just yards from one of the entrances to Manchester Craft and Design Centre. Jason Carr, Operations Manager at the centre said: “When I came in this morning the area had been cordoned off.
“Part of Copperas Street and William Fairburn Way was taped off and there were two police vans. Our back entrance goes out onto that part and when we looked and there was a body there covered with a blanket.
“There was a mattress there so he wasn’t lying on the floor. We had to keep the door shut whilst the police were doing their business.

“This is the second body that has been found near the centre, there was another last year in almost exactly the same place. On that occasion that staff discovered the body.”
Just yards from the scene of the tragedy on Copperas Street were two further sets of bedding left on pieces of cardboard where it appeared others may have been sleeping. And he said the sight of people bedding down in doorways in the area was a common one.
“We have a good relationship with local anti-social behaviour action (ASBAT) and street engagement team and I think they normally do the rounds in the morning” Jason said. “Someone has obviously found him and alerted the police.
“We have been told there are beds available and whenever we alert them to someone they are normally pretty quick in coming out and engaging with them.

“It’s just really sad and very upsetting. It’s heartbreaking for his family obviously. But it wasn’t nice thing for people here to see either. The fact it’s so close to Christmas is another thing in our minds.
“I just feel it would be better if there was more of a presence in this area as it’s a real hotspot but it’s also quite off the beaten track so it can get forgotten about.”
Another nearby worker said: “I got in about 8:45AM and it was all taped off. We didn’t know what had happened at first but then we saw the private ambulance arrive and they were taking the body away. It felt a bit weird. Very unsettling. It definitely is a hotspot for people sleeping."
Jonathan Billings, founder of the homeless charity Engage Grow Go (EGG) regularly does outreach work in the area and has helped get 50 people off the streets since April, with 15 of those entering full-time employment.

He told the M.E.N: “I think it’s just absolutely tragic. In this day and age for people to be sleeping rough on our streets is just unacceptable. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. Until we know more about the circumstances I think all we can do is best remember that individual.”
“There’s so many great organisations out there doing fantastic work” he continued. “But it’s not uncommon for there to be between 40 and 60 individuals sleeping rough In the city centre at any one time. There are lots of issues and different things going on there.
“Not everyone on the streets is sleeping rough people can beg due to addiction issues. But if they are sleeping rough and its highly likely they have been offered accommodation.
"Some of them will refuse those offers and some will have very good reason. But it just makes it all the more tragic when something like this happens.”

Sam Wheeler, councillor for Piccadilly ward in the city centre said: "Every death on the streets of Manchester is a tragedy.
“This is the second city of one of the richest countries on earth. A rough sleeper in the city centre is as much one of my residents as someone in a new luxury tower block, and the council has a duty, both legal and moral, to look after all Mancunians.
"I don't believe the current government is capable of shame. But I would ask, as they look at the Local Government Settlement this Christmas, and if they take anything from the story of the baby born in Bethlehem, they grant our city what we need to help shelter, feed and clothe our brothers and sisters in need."
A Greater Manchester Police (GMP) spokesperson said: “At around 6:45am this morning (Wednesday 21 December 2022), officers were called to a concern for welfare of a man on Edge Street in Manchester City Centre.
“Emergency services attended the scene. Sadly, the man passed away at the scene despite the best efforts of the emergency services. There are believed to be no suspicious circumstances surround his death.”
A Manchester City Council spokesperson said: "We can confirm that this man was known to our homelessness team, and voluntary sector partners, and had been offered accommodation support during the recent spell of cold weather but unfortunately did not attend."
"It is a real tragedy that someone has died on our streets, whatever the circumstances that led to them being there in the first place. We would like to offer our heartfelt condolences and assure people that there is help available for anyone they see sleeping on the streets. The council and our partners in the voluntary sector are out on the streets every day seeking out people with offers of help and advice and there is extensive provision in place to accommodate people so that they do not have to sleep on the streets."
Read more of today's headlines here
READ NEXT:
- Pervert offered £400 for Manchester girl to have sex with him... and even upped his offer with a further vile request
- Horrifying moment man grabbed cat, 'cartwheeled' her in the air and smashed her to the floor
- 'I started a side hustle to top up my wage during the cost of living crisis'
- 'Not Covid' lurgy leaving Mancunians 'floored' and worse than when they had the virus
- Men found dead in mill fire 'likely to have been victims of modern slavery' as pictures emerge of devastating site