Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Abigail Nicholson

United Utilities gives update on huge 10ft sinkhole

United Utilities have given an update on the work they're doing to repair a huge 10ft sinkhole that swallowed part of a road in Liverpool.

Merseyside Police were called at around 2.20pm on Tuesday, July 5, to reports a large sinkhole had opened up in Kensington. At the scene, on Beech Street, officers found a sinkhole had swallowed half the road.

The sinkhole has led to a number of road closures, including Beech Street between A57 Prescot Road and A5047 Edge Lane and Holly Road in both directions from Beech Street to Lister Road.

READ MORE: Pictures show inside 'scary' sinkhole which swallowed half a road

Liverpool City Council and United Utilities were then called to take over responsibility. United Utilities confirmed it is working "closely" with Liverpool council to solve the problem and get the area's water supply back to normal. On Tuesday night workers identified a burst water main and investigations took place.

Today, the company updated residents to let them know a damage to a sewer had been found and staff would be working with specialist contractors on repair work.

A United Utilities spokesperson, said: "When the sinkhole opened up on Beech Street our water main was damaged which caused supplies to our customers in the area to be impacted. Yesterday, our teams worked on a temporary repair and all our customers should now have water - although the pressure may fluctuate at busy periods.

"We have now also identified damage to a sewer that will require repairs and due to its depth we will be working with specialist contractors to plan this repair work. We will be writing to local residents directly to provide them with an update and we thank everyone for their patience in the meantime."

People in L7 first knew about the sinkhole when they received an email from United Utilities letting them know they wouldn't be able to use their water, or may have low pressure. A number of people on the road told The ECHO they then saw the pictures of the sinkhole online.

One person who lives on Holly Road, who asked not to be named, said: "I didn't hear anything at all, the first I saw was when the police arrived and I started hearing commotion outside. It's my worst nightmare, imagine if somebody was walking over at the time or driving their car, it's mad.

"They said we should have water back on soon but the road could be closed for ages. It will be a pain for getting around."

Another person living in the area said: "It's so scary, and a wonder nobody was hurt. I usually drive this way and it's busy in the mornings, I imagine it will be chaos."

READ NEXT:

Two arrested after man shot at point blank range in horrific attack caught on film

Man flashed on bus in front of horrified passengers

Woman blew vape smoke in hotel manager's face and punched her in the head

Michael Owen issues ban after watching Gemma on Love Island

Mum 'terrified' ahead of son's birthday as she issues hearbreaking request

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.