Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Telegraph
The Telegraph
National
Marcus Parekh

Sydney shark attack: Family pay tribute to 'wonderful human being'

Sydney shark attack: Family pay tribute to 'wonderful human being' - Facebook
Sydney shark attack: Family pay tribute to 'wonderful human being' - Facebook

The family of a British man mauled to death by a Great White Shark near Sydney have paid tribute, describing him as a "wonderful human being".

Simon Nellist, a former RAF serviceman, became the first victim of a fatal shark attack in the last 60 years in Sydney when he was killed in the waters of Little Bay last Wednesday.

His family released a tribute calling him a "wonderful human being" and "very talented photographer".

"Simon was a gentle, kind and wonderful human being. He was a cherished fiancée, son, brother, uncle and friend," they said.

"Simon was funny, compassionate and always had time for people. He had a rare gift of instantly being able to connect with others, gaining their trust and respect.

Mr Nellist, who grew up in the village of Ludgvan in West Cornwall, was characterised as a "proud Cornishman" by his family.

The 35-year-old had emigrated Australia and lived in the Sydney suburb of Wolli Creek with his fiancée Jessie Ho. They were due to marry last year, but postponed the ceremony due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Simon had a great passion for nature and the sea, as well as being a very talented photographer," his family said, adding that they were very proud of him and would "miss him terribly".

His body has yet to be found after the attack, which was committed by a Great White that biologists have estimated is at least three metres (9.8ft) long.

Local authorities have deployed baited drum lines to try to catch the predator and move it into deeper waters, with beaches remaining closed. Mr Nellist had previously spoken out against the controversial methods now being deployed to attempt to catch the animal.

Most city beaches remain shut after the attack with swimmers banned from the water, as authorities have yet to locate the offending shark.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.