Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
Sport
Ian Mitchelmore

Swansea City transfer news as Rangers confusion reigns in Morgan Whittaker chase and Leeds United star close to Wigan

Your Swansea City headlines on Thursday, January 19.

Rangers boss' confusion amid Whittaker interest

Michael Beale says he was not told Rangers had made a bid for Swansea's Morgan Whittaker this month.

The Scottish Premiership side are firm admirers of the 22-year-old and are understood to have had an offer for Whittaker knocked back by the Swans earlier this month.

READ MORE: Rangers' Morgan Whittaker move sparks surprise as Swansea City star a 'top, top player' in making

Speaking after his side's FA Cup third-round replay loss to Bristol City, Russell Martin confirmed Rangers were the side whose offer was rejected by the club.

"We have rejected an offer from them, that's it," he said on Tuesday night.

But Rangers boss Beale says Martin's revelation is contrary to what he has been told by the key decision makers behind-the-scenes at Ibrox.

"I didn’t know we had made a bid - that’s not what I’ve been told in-house," said the 42-year-old.

He went on to add: "We are close to one or two bits. I don't want to put a timeline and disappoint anyone. We are close to one or two being announced in the coming days and I'm really pleased with the work everyone has done behind the scenes on that.

"You can see from my face I can't really tell you much more. In the meantime, the boys that are here are doing well and in the coming days we will have news for everyone."

Wigan close in on Gelhardt

Wigan Athletic are closing in on a deal to sign Leeds United striker Joe Gelhardt.

Swansea were among a host of Championship teams who had the 20-year-old on their transfer wish list this month, with Leeds now eager to see Gelhardt get regular game time out on loan.

But the Liverpool-born forward appears destined to secure a temporary switch back to former club Wigan Athletic.

Swansea remain determined to bolster their forward options this month, with Rotherham United's Chiedozie Ogbene being a prime target.

Rosenior thrilled to beat off Ebiowei competition

Liam Rosenior admits he's delighted Hull City beat a host of other clubs to the loan signature of Malcolm Ebiowei from Crystal Palace.

Swansea were among a clutch of clubs who explored the option of a deal for the exciting 19-year-old this month, although he has opted to join the Tigers for the remainder of the season.

It sees Ebiowei re-unite himself with Hull boss Rosenior - who he worked with at Derby County.

“I am delighted that Malcolm has decided to join this football club and that we’ve beaten off a lot of competition for his signature," the Hull head coach told the club's official website.

“He was my main attacking target from the moment I came in and everyone has worked hard to make it happen; I can’t thank Acun (Ilicali) and Tan (Kesler) enough for backing me.

“Malcolm is someone I’ve worked with before and has got undoubted ability and potential. He's an outstanding one-v-one player, is creative, quick and can get fans off their seats. He’s got a great work ethic and is a lovely young lad who will fit into the group perfectly.

“He’s had a minor injury and is working on his rehab at Crystal Palace but is someone we believe is worth the wait. He’ll be with us soon and I can’t wait to have him at the club and get working with him.”

READ MORE: Russell Martin's Bristol City frustration as Swansea City boss says transfer mistake can't be repeated

Congreve's first-team ambition

Cameron Congreve admits he's hungry for more first-team opportunities after featuring in the FA Cup against Bristol City.

The academy product was handed only his third start of the season against the Robins and played 72 minutes as the Swans suffered a 2-1 defeat after extra-time to Nigel Pearson's outfit.

But Congreve says he is targeting further opportunities under Russell Martin having regained his full match sharpness courtesy of regular game time for the club's Under-21s.

“I was buzzing to start, I couldn’t wait for the game,” Congreve told the club website.

“I really enjoyed it. I think it was a good performance. We dominated the ball throughout and we performed well but we were unlucky to come up short in the end.

“I think every time you get minutes or a start – like I did in the FA Cup – it gives you more motivation and hunger for more.

“Playing with the under-21s has been giving me the chance to get up to full fitness, because I was going through a period where I wasn’t playing as many minutes as I probably needed to, so it’s been really good for me to play there and get minutes and match sharpness.”

READ NEXT:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.