Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Politics
Dan Bloom & Gavin Cordon

Sajid Javid: Top Tory blasts 'odd' decision to exclude him from Trump banquet

A top Tory has hit out at the "odd" decision to exclude him from a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace in honour of Donald Trump.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid said he didn't know why he wasn't invited while lower-ranking Cabinet ministers - including Environment Michael Gove - were.

And he said "I really don't know" if it was because of his Muslim background - or his attacks on Trump for promoting far-right group Britain First.

He added: "I don't like it. It is odd. My office did ask No10 [Downing Street] and they said 'no'."

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "You'd have to ask someone from No10 why they made that decision."

He said "I really don't know" if it was because of his Muslim background (PA)

Mr Javid - one of 10 contenders for the Tory leadership - said he has still not received a proper explanation as to why was the only senior Cabinet minister not to be invited.

"I don't know. I have asked. I was just told that normally home secretaries aren't invited. So I don't know," he said.

Mr Javid has previously criticised Mr Trump after he tweeted his support for the right-wing Britain First group.

He responded that the president was endorsing the views of "a vile, hate-filled racist organisation that hates me and people like me".

Trump and the Queen deep in conversation during the banquet on June 3 (PA)
The glittering Buckingham Palace state dinner was thrown in Trump's honour (PA)

Asked if he thought his exclusion was due to his Muslim background, Mr Javid said: "I am not saying that at all. I really don't know."

Mr Javid did meet and speak briefly with the president during the D-Day commemorations in Portsmouth on the final day of his visit.

During the course of his stay, Mr Trump renewed his long-running feud with London Mayor Sadiq Khan - who also comes from a Muslim background - branding him a "stone cold loser".

He also played the statesman at the glittering Buckingham Palace dinner, praising the Queen as he marked the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.