The King has been seen in public for the first time since his hospital visit for side effects from his cancer treatment.
Charles smiled and waved at well-wishers as he was driven by car from Clarence House, his London home, along The Mall towards Buckingham Palace on Friday morning.
His appearance comes after Buckingham Palace said late on Thursday that the monarch had “required a short period of observation in hospital” at the London Clinic following side effects of his cancer treatment.
The 76-year-old cancelled his royal engagements on Friday to prioritise his recovery as a precautionary measure.
He was said to be in good form, earlier working on state papers and making calls from his study.
In a statement, the Palace said: “Following scheduled and ongoing medical treatment for cancer this morning, the King experienced temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital.”
It added: “His Majesty would like to send his apologies to all those who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result.”
It is understood the side effects, of which specifics have not been disclosed, were temporary and not uncommon with many medical treatments.
King Charles cancels engagements over cancer treatment side effect
The King’s ‘workaholic’ two weeks before cancer treatment side effects
King Charles’s health timeline: From cancer diagnosis to side effects from treatment
King Charles in hospital after cancer treatment - but what are the side effects?
Inside the Sussex spiral as Harry is left heartbroken and alone
Key Points
- Pictured: Charles seen in public for first time since being observed in hospital
- King ‘required hospital observation’ due to cancer treatment side effects
- Charles has had a busy run of engagements this month
- King postpones royal engagements following side effects
- PM 'wishes His Majesty the King all the very best'
King's historic state visit to Italy expected to go ahead as planned
14:11It is understood that the historic state visit to Italy that the King is due to make in 10 days’ time is expected to go ahead as planned.
Charles is set to become the first British sovereign to address both houses of the Italian parliament during the overseas tour with the Queen, which will last from 7-10 April.
Sources stress King's hospital visit was not a major development
13:30 , Tara CobhamSources have stressed the King’s visit to the London Clinic on Thursday was not a major development and no further updates are expected on his health.
Any minor alterations to Charles’ diary that may be required next week will be announced in due course, they added.
Watch: Smiling King Charles seen for first time since suffering side effects from cancer treatment
13:00 , Tara CobhamKing is on his way to Highgrove where he is likely to continue with official paperwork
12:29 , Tara CobhamThe King was being driven to Highgrove, his Gloucestershire residence, when he was spotted earlier in the first public sighting since his hospital visit.
Charles was said to be on good form at Clarence House, his London home, last night, working on state papers and making calls from his study and it is likely he will continue with official paperwork while at Highgrove.
It comes after he cleared his diary to prioritise his recovery as a precaution following temporary side effects from his cancer treatment.

Tourists express 'relief' after seeing King looking well
11:42 , Tara CobhamTourists have expressed their “relief” after seeing the King looking well as he was driven past on his way out of Clarence House.
Julian Mati, 34, said: “We were horrified when we heard the news yesterday.
“We had come down to the palace today to take pictures but we never imagined we would see the King.
“To see him smiling and waving, it’s such a relief.”
A large crowd, including members of the public and photographers, watched as Charles was driven out of Clarence House at around 10.30am.
Sat in the back of a black Audi, he waved down the window, smiled and waved at well-wishers as he left his London residence.
Moments earlier the Princess Royal was driven out of the residence in a black Bentley.

Pictured: Charles seen in public for first time since being observed in hospital
11:02 , Tara CobhamThe King has been seen in public for the first time since he was observed in hospital over side effects from his cancer treatment.
Charles was spotted being driven by car from Clarence House along The Mall towards Buckingham Palace.
He waved at well-wishers while leaving his London home this morning.
.jpeg)
Charles’s health timeline: From cancer diagnosis to side effects from treatment
10:56 , Tara CobhamThe King has seen a difficult couple of years for his health, particularly after his cancer diagnosis.
My colleague Bryony Gooch outlines a timeline of Charles’ cancer treatment and how the story unfolded in the public eye:

King Charles’s health timeline: From cancer diagnosis to side effects from treatment
'A most minor bump in road very much heading in right direction,' says source
10:32 , Tara CobhamA source has described the news as a “most minor bump in a road that is very much heading in the right direction”.
The King was said to be on good form at his London home where he is working on state papers and making calls from his study.

King postpones royal engagements following side effects
09:52 , Tara CobhamThe King was due to meet ambassadors in audiences at Buckingham Palace on Thursday afternoon but these were postponed due to his stay in hospital.
He also had a busy day planned in Birmingham on Friday, with four engagements back to back.
Charles in hospital after cancer treatment - but what are the side effects?
09:28 , Tara CobhamThe King was diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer in February 2024 and returned to public-facing duties in April despite still undergoing weekly treatment.
The specifics of the King’s side effects from his cancer treatment have not been disclosed, but they are understood to be temporary and not uncommon with many medical treatments.
But what exactly are some of the side effects of cancer treatment? My colleague Jabed Ahmed reports:

King Charles in hospital after cancer treatment - but what are the side effects?
News comes after royal family endured 'brutal' 2024 with Kate and Charles' cancer diagnoses
09:06It was hoped this year would be a fresh start for the royal family after they endured what the Prince of Wales called a “brutal” 2024 and probably “the hardest year of my life” with both the King and the Princess of Wales being diagnosed with cancer.
Charles was diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer in February 2024 and returned to public-facing duties in April despite still undergoing weekly treatment.
Kate is now in remission and is gradually returning to public duties after she disclosed her cancer diagnosis in March last year.

King has had a busy run of engagements this month
08:55 , Tara CobhamThe King has had a busy run of engagements this month, including a reception for media on Wednesday evening after a visit to a soil exhibition in the day, and is due to make a historic state visit to Italy in 10 days’ time.
It is understood the overseas tour with the Queen from April 7-10, which will see Charles become the first British sovereign to address both houses of the Italian parliament, is expected to go ahead as planned.
Last week, the King made a whirlwind three-day visit to Northern Ireland with Camilla, and earlier in March hosted high-profile audiences with key political figures including Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky, outgoing Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau and new Canadian PM Mark Carney.
Charles, who is known for being a workaholic, is said to have thrived on carrying out public and state duties in recent months, seeing them as being of great benefit to his overall wellbeing.
His long-haul visit to Australia and Samoa last autumn was described at the time as the “perfect tonic” for the monarch.
Since his diagnosis last year, the King’s diary of engagements is understood to have been developed in full consultation with his medical team at all stages to protect and prioritise his recovery.

Buckingham Palace's statement in full
08:52 , Tara CobhamBuckingham Palace said in a statement: “Following scheduled and ongoing medical treatment for cancer this morning, the King experienced temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital.
“His Majesty’s afternoon engagements were therefore postponed.
“His Majesty has now returned to Clarence House and as a precautionary measure, acting on medical advice, tomorrow’s diary programme will also be rescheduled.
“His Majesty would like to send his apologies to all those who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result”.
PM 'wishes His Majesty the King all the very best'
08:51 , Tara CobhamThe prime minister “wishes His Majesty the King all the very best”, a spokeswoman for Sir Keir Starmer said after the news was announced late on Thursday evening.

King ‘required hospital observation’ due to cancer treatment side effects
08:49 , Tara CobhamThe King “required a short period of observation in hospital” after experiencing side effects from his cancer treatment, Buckingham Palace has said.
Charles has cancelled an away day to Birmingham on Friday to prioritise his recovery as a precautionary measure and is now back at Clarence House.
The King, 76, was said to be on good form at his London home where he is working on state papers and making calls from his study.