Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Entertainment
Bonnie McLaren

Police drop investigation into raid on Gary Barlow’s £6million mansion

Police have dropped their investigation into a raid on Gary Barlow’s house.

The Sun reports that the Take That singer, 54, had his £6million mansion broken in to by thieves last April, while he was performing on Saturday Night Takeaway.

But a year later, the paper has said that Thames Valley Police have shelved the case pending further information, and that they have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

It’s unsure whether anything was taken from the Grade II-listed house, which is in a village in the south of England, following the break-in - or whether any of Barlow’s family, his wife Dawn and two children Daniel and Emily, were at home.

Mark Owen, Howard Donald and Gary Barlow of Take That (Ian West/PA) (PA Wire)

A source also told the paper that the gang behind the break in might have fled the country.

“There’s always the fear that the gangs flee the UK after raids, which makes the cops’ job even harder,” they said.

The Standard has contacted a representative of Gary Barlow for comment.

At the time, it was reported that Barlow didn’t know about the break in until the next day when the police were informed.

A neighbour told The Sun: “When I drove past I saw officers taking photos of the gates, which had been damaged. They were left half open. A few days later the gates had been fixed.”

Another neighbour added: “The police have been round to ask me about what happened, but I wasn't aware of anything. I noticed the gates were flapping open. It's a rather secluded place. It's a warning to us all.

“There have been other burglaries we've heard about in the area within the last year or so. There are a few big houses and Mr Barlow's is one of them.”

They added: “Police always need to do more. It would make everybody feel more reassured here if there were a larger presence, but like everything else in life, it is all funding-related.

“I wouldn't mind paying an extra penny in tax if the NHS and police were better funded. It would make us all feel safer.”

Thames Valley Police confirmed to the Sun the case had been filed pending further information and renewed an appeal for witnesses.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.