
Attorney General Pam Bondi has directed federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Luigi Mangione, who stands accused of killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in the streets of New York City last December.
"Luigi Mangione's murder of Brian Thompson — an innocent man and father of two young children — was a premeditated, cold-blooded assassination that shocked America," Bondi said in a statement on Tuesday.
"After careful consideration, I have directed federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty in this case as we carry out President Trump's agenda to stop violent crime and Make America Safe Again," she added.
Mangione faces state and federal murder charges, with the case dominating national headlines given the public nature of the killing (captured by security cameras) and the manhunt that ensued. The former case carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, while the federal one does contemplate the death penalty.
Mangione has pleaded not guilty to the state indictment and refused to enter a plea deal regarding the federal charges. His official defense fund has raised over $777,000 with a recent five-figure contribution.
The record-breaking donation that arrived this week was for $36,500. The anonymous mystery donor said on the GiveSendGo page that they were inspired by the outpouring of support Mangione has received so far.
"What intrigues me about this case is how unified folks' responses are regardless of strata. In Corporate America, for instance, there has been widespread doubt of potential prosecutorial mishandling and overcharging," the donor wrote. "I've also been surprised at the almost ubiquitous nature of support towards the suspect that I would expect to be quite bifurcated in this type of litigation. Quite exceptional."
Some have used the killing of Thompson and the subsequent arrest of Mangione as an opportunity to vent frustrations about the health insurance industry.
An Emerson College poll found that only 68% of those surveyed found the killing "unacceptable," The Hill reported. The poll also found more support for the killing among young people, with 24 percent of those aged 18-29 finding the murder "somewhat acceptable" and 17 percent saying it was "completely acceptable."
© 2025 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.