Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The National (Scotland)
The National (Scotland)
National
Gregor Young

Palestinian death toll in Gaza conflict passes 50,000

MORE than 50,000 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, the territory’s Hamas-run Health Ministry said on Sunday.

The news follows Israeli airstrikes that killed at least 26 Palestinians last night, including a Hamas political leader and several women and children.

Israel’s military also sent ground troops into parts of the southern city of Rafah as thousands of Palestinians fled after new evacuation orders.

Israel ended the latest ceasefire last week with a wave of strikes that killed hundreds, and it has launched ground incursions in northern Gaza. 

Palestinians could be seen walking along a dirt road and carrying their belongings in their arms, a recurring scene in a conflict that has forced most of Gaza’s population to flee, often multiple times.

“It’s displacement under fire,” said Mustafa Gaber, a local journalist who left Tel al-Sultan with his family.

In a video call, he said hundreds of people were fleeing as tank and drone fire echoed nearby.

“There are wounded people among us. The situation is very difficult,” he said.

Amal Nassar, also displaced from Rafah, said: “The shells are falling among us and the bullets are (flying) above us.

“The elderly have been thrown into the streets. An old woman was telling her son, ‘Go and leave me to die.’ Where will we go?”

The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service said it lost contact with a team of medics responding to the strikes. Spokesperson Nebal Farsakh said some were wounded.

There was no immediate comment from Israel’s military, which says it only targets militants. Israel blames civilian deaths on Hamas because it operates in densely populated areas.

Hamas said that Salah Bardawil, a member of its political bureau and the Palestinian parliament, was killed in a strike in Mawasi that also killed his wife.

Bardawil was a well-known member of the group’s political wing who gave media interviews over the years.

Hospitals in southern Gaza said they had received a further 24 bodies from strikes overnight, including several women and children.

Gaza’s Health Ministry said 50,021 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict and more than 113,000 have been wounded. That includes 673 people killed since Israel’s bombardment on Tuesday shattered the ceasefire.

Dr Munir al-Boursh, the ministry’s general director, said the dead include 15,613 children, with 872 of them under one year old.

The ministry does not distinguish between civilians and combatants in its count but says women and children make up over half the dead. Israel says it has killed around 20,000 fighters, without providing evidence.

The ceasefire that took hold in January paused more than a year of fighting ignited by Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack into Israel, in which militants killed some 1200 people, mostly civilians, and took 251 hostage. Most captives have been released in ceasefire agreements or other deals.

In the latest ceasefire’s first phase, 25 Israeli hostages and the bodies of eight others were released in exchange for nearly 2000 Palestinian prisoners.

Israeli forces pulled back, allowing hundreds of thousands of people to return to what remained of their homes.

There was an attempt to deliver humanitarian aid but Israel cut off all supplies to Gaza earlier this month to pressure Hamas to change the ceasefire agreement.

The sides were supposed to begin negotiations in early February on the ceasefire’s next phase, in which Hamas was to release the remaining 59 hostages — 35 of them believed to be dead — in exchange for more Palestinian prisoners, a lasting ceasefire and an Israeli withdrawal.

Those talks never began. Israel backed out of the ceasefire agreement after Hamas refused Israeli and US-backed proposals to release more hostages ahead of any talks on a lasting truce.

Israel’s cabinet passed a measure on Sunday creating 13 new settlements in the occupied West Bank by rezoning existing ones, according to Bezalel Smotrich, Israel’s finance minister, who is in charge of settlement construction.

This brings the number of settlements, considered illegal by the majority of the international community, to 140, said anti-settlement watchdog group Peace Now.

They will now receive independent budgets from Israel and can elect their own local governments, the group said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.