
Western Australia premier Roger Cook has accused the NRL of treating his state like a 'cash cow', as Perth's chances of joining the league appear perilous at best.
In a sign of the Perth Bears' deteriorating chances of joining in 2027, Cook on Saturday suggested the NRL had ignored the strategic value of a team in the west.
The Western Australia premier also claimed the NRL had instead only been interested in money, as negotiations reached a crucial point.
Perth had loomed as the most likely expansion option for the NRL in recent years with their chances further enhanced by a deal struck with the North Sydney Bears.
There had been a setback last October when the NRL rejected a bid from the Perth-based consortium leading the charge.

But even when Papua New Guinea's 2028 entry was announced last December, it was assumed a deal would eventually be struck with the WA Government for 2027.
Negotiations were then put on hold during the state election campaign in February and early March, before resuming in recent weeks.
But concerns emerged on Friday a deal would be difficult to complete, before Cook hit back at reports Perth's entry could be pushed back to 2028 or abandoned.
"This week, we made an offer to support a potential NRL licence in WA," Cook said in a statement.
"It was based upon support for grass roots development of the game, while protecting the interests of WA taxpayers.
"Given our location on the Indian Ocean Rim and in the same time zone as 60 per cent of the world's population, the strategic value of a Western Australian side should be self evident to the NRL.
"Unfortunately, like some people from the east, the NRL only appears to see WA as a potential cash cow.
"I love rugby league, but as I said during the election I will always do what's right for WA."
Cook's comments come just a week out from Perth hosting a double-header at Optus Stadium, with Cronulla, Manly, South Sydney and North Queensland all headed west.
There are now serious fears in a parochial state that crowd will now be down on the 45,800 who attended the last double-header there in 2023.
Optus Stadium is also set to host State of Origin II in June, which is on track to sell out.

The Cook government had initially supported the consortium-based bid for a Perth team, led by Cash Converters boss Peter Cumins.
But that fell over last October when Cumins was accused of low-balling the NRL when he did not offer a license fee to enter the competition.
A subsequent $20 million was also rejected by the NRL, as head office opted to pursue a deal with the state government for the team.
Talks have centred around $120 million in funding over 10 years, along with stadium upgrades at HBF Park, favourable hiring fees, a rugby league state centre and the introduction of the sport into the high-school curriculum.
But they now appear to have hit a stumbling block, with the ARL Commission expected to discuss the prospect shortly.
If the Perth bid was abandoned the NRL will begin negotiating the next TV rights deal from 2028 as an 18-team competition.
Any eventual move to 20 teams would give the NRL more freedom around season strength and structure, potentially through conferences that could allow for fewer rounds and more representative football.