Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Sami Quadri

Quakers condemn Met Police over ‘aggressive’ arrests at ‘shut down London’ protest meeting

Six arrests by the Metropolitan Police at a Quaker meeting house in central London have been condemned by the faith group as an "aggressive violation".

Quakers in Britain said the arrests of six Youth Demand supporters on suspicion of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance were the first of their kind at a Quaker venue "in living memory".

More than 30 officers entered a welcome talk held at the Westminster Meeting House at around 7.30pm on Thursday, according to Youth Demand.

Paul Parker of Quakers in Britain said he could not recall anyone previously being arrested at a Quaker meeting house.

"The forceful removal of young people holding a protest group meeting clearly shows what happens when a society criminalises protest," he said.

"Freedom of speech, assembly, and fair trials are an essential part of free public debate which underpins democracy."

A spokesperson for the Met Police confirmed the arrests and said Youth Demand had openly stated intentions to "shut down" London during April using tactics such as "swarming" and roadblocks.

The spokesperson added: "While we absolutely recognise the importance of the right to protest, we have a responsibility to intervene to prevent activity that crosses the line from protest into serious disruption and other criminality.

"On Thursday, officers raided a Youth Demand planning meeting where those in attendance were plotting their April action. Six people were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance."

Youth Demand described the police actions as a new level of "repression" and said one of those arrested was a journalist. They added that several homes were also raided on Thursday and Friday as part of the operation.

The group, which describes itself as a “youth resistance campaign fighting for an end to genocide”, has previously carried out acts of civil disobedience. Its demands include halting all trade with Israel and raising funds from “the super rich and fossil fuel elite” as reparations for damage caused by fossil fuels.

A Youth Demand spokesperson said: "It's clear that the Government sees Youth Demand as a threat. They know that we are right."

They said thousands of young people were “horrified by what the Government is doing to facilitate genocide,” adding: "We will not be silenced. Young people all over the country are coming together to shut London down day after day throughout April."

Previous Youth Demand demonstrations included an action at Sir Keir Starmer’s home in April last year, after which three activists received suspended prison sentences. Other members were arrested last July after announcing plans to disrupt the State Opening of Parliament.

Youth Demand is scheduled to host another welcome talk in Brighton on Monday evening, according to its website.

Quakers in Britain added in a statement: "Quakers support the right to non-violent public protest, acting themselves from a deep moral imperative to stand up against injustice and for our planet.

"Many have taken non-violent direct action over the centuries from the abolition of slavery to women's suffrage and prison reform."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.