Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Gabriel Stargardter

Marine Le Pen judge given police protection after death threats

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen attends a session at the National Assembly, Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Paris. (AP Photo/Michel Euler) - (AP)

A French judge who blocked far-right leader Marine Le Pen from running in the 2027 presidential election is under police protection after facing death threats and having her home address published online.

Benedicte de Perthuis, head of the three-judge panel that found Le Pen guilty of embezzling EU funds, issued a five-year ban on the politician seeking public office on Monday.

Following the ruling, de Perthuis’s home address was shared online, prompting police protection at her home and workplace. The judge also received threats on social media, with her photo appearing on X and far-right websites.

A Paris police investigation into the threats is underway.

The threats against de Perthuis and other judicial officials involved in Le Pen's trial have prompted soul-searching in France about a current of populist discontent that is undermining faith in the country's justice system.

Nearly 90% of Le Pen's National Rally (RN) supporters believe the court treated her more harshly than other politicians, while over half of French people believe she got a fair trial, according to an Odoxa opinion poll published on Monday.

Le Pen has denied stoking a backlash against the judiciary (AP)

Before Monday's ruling Le Pen was the front-runner for the 2027 vote. She and her allies at home and abroad have accused the French establishment of sabotaging her presidential ambitions, saying judges have caused a crisis for democracy by meddling in politics.

Le Pen has denied stoking a backlash against the judiciary, and has condemned the threats against de Perthuis. She has pledged to use legal means to overturn her sentence, by appealing against the ruling.

Christophe Soulard, the head of the Court of Cassation, France's highest judicial court, said in an interview with Le Monde published on Wednesday that the threats showed France's democracy has been weakened and was facing a "worrying moment."

"Attacking the judicial system is not only an attack on judges, but also on the foundations of our democracy," he said. "Judges today are being attacked personally, particularly on social media, which is a new phenomenon."

The Le Pen ruling and the threats against de Perthuis have echoed frictions seen in other countries over how judges adjudicate thorny political questions.

After President Donald Trump called for a judge to be impeached, U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts issued a rare public statement last month saying appeals, not impeachment, were the correct response to disagreement with judicial rulings.

Political support for de Perthuis and her colleagues has poured in, including from Justice Minister Gerald Darmanin, who condemned the threats, and the High Council for the Judiciary.

Mathilde Panot, who heads a hard-left party in the National Assembly called it unacceptable that a judge should need police protection and blamed what she called the "methods of the far-right".

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.