Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Katie Dickinson

Man charged with 64 offences after investigation into Hull funeral directors

A man has been charged with 64 offences relating to 254 victims after an investigation into remains found at funeral directors in Hull.

Robert Bush, 47, has been charged with 30 counts of preventing a lawful burial and 30 counts of fraud by false representation relating to bodies found at the firm’s Hessle Road site in March last year.

He has also been charged with one count of fraudulent trading in relation to funeral plans sold between May 2012 and March 2024, encompassing 172 victims; and one count of fraud in relation to human ashes, encompassing 50 victims, between August 2017 and March 2024, Humberside Police said.

Bush is also accused of two counts of theft from charities between September 2022 and March 2024.

He is due to appear at Hull Magistrates’ Court on June 25.

At a press conference at Melton Police Station on Wednesday, Deputy Chief Constable Dave Marshall said: “On Wednesday March 6 2024, we received information of concern for the care of the deceased at Legacy Independent Funeral Directors across three premises in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire.

“Following the report, a complex, protracted and highly sensitive 10-month investigation commenced, with a file of evidence submitted to the CPS on January 16 to comprehensively review.

The exterior of Hull Magistrates’ Court (Dave Higgens/PA) (PA Wire)

“Today, I can confirm Robert Bush, formerly of Kirk Ella, East Yorkshire, has been charged with a combined total of 64 offences in connection to the investigation.”

He went on to say: “We have updated the families of the 35 deceased with this development and we have made initial contact with additional victims who have been affected by the investigation and we will be personally in touch with them in the coming days.

“As the investigation now moves into the courts and judicial process, I would please ask people to refrain from any speculation or commenting that could prejudice or jeopardise the case, and to allow those affected to get the answers they desperately need and rightly deserve.

“My sincerest thanks go out to those affected for their patience and understanding.

“They have always been the priority and at the very heart of the entire investigation and this will remain, and we would please ask their privacy is continued to be respected.”

A 55-year-old woman arrested in July 2024 has been released with no further action to be taken, police said.

A month after the investigation started in March last year, Humberside Police said more than 2,000 calls had been received on a dedicated phone line with “a significant number … understandably concerned about the identification of the ashes of their loved ones”.

The force also confirmed that it was impossible to identify any of the human ashes using DNA profiles – a fact he said would be “devastating news for families and loved ones”.

A dedicated helpline for anyone affected is available on 0808 281 1136.

Robin Weyell, deputy chief crown prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has authorised Humberside Police to charge Robert Bush with 64 offences including fraud, fraudulent trading, theft, and preventing a lawful and decent burial, following an investigation into Legacy Independent Funeral Directors in Hull.

“Our thoughts and sympathies remain with the families who have been affected during this difficult time.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and defendants have the right to a fair trial.

“Therefore, it is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.