Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Donna Ferguson and PA Media

Man arrested over deaths in house fire near Kettering is released

Aerial view of the former stationmaster's house: it has an L-shaped structure and the roof on one side is burned through with charred timbers visible. The house is pale stone with high arched windows and tall brick chimneys, and stands next to a railway line.
A large hole was burned through the roof of the former stationmaster’s house in Beswick Close, Rushton, near Kettering. Photograph: Jacob King/PA

A man arrested on suspicion of murder after a fire at a historic former stationmaster’s house has been released and will face no further action, police have said.

The fire at a property in Beswick Close in Rushton, near Kettering, killed three people, including a four-year-old girl, on Friday evening.

The other victims were believed to be a 30-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man, Northamptonshire police said.

Their next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.

The suspect, 54, from Kettering, was released without charge after his arrest on Saturday, police said on Sunday.

The senior investigating officer, DCI Ruby Burrow of the East Midlands special operations unit, said on Sunday evening: “It is only right that an incident such as this is treated with the utmost seriousness, to make sure we have done all we can to understand what has happened for the sake of those who have died and their loved ones.

“In some cases, this requires arrests to be made in order to best secure potential evidence.

“Our team has been working at pace on this investigation and after rigorous examination of the available information we do not believe there is any evidence of criminal wrongdoing at this point.

“As a result, the arrested man has been released without charge and will now be supported by specialist officers as he continues to assist the investigation team.

“The families involved have been kept updated on this development and I would repeat our request for their privacy to be respected at this incredibly distressing time.”

Emergency services were called at about 10.30pm on Friday to reports of a large blaze at the property.

In a statement earlier on Sunday afternoon, Ch Insp Paul Cash said only one arrest had been made during the investigation, which was in its early stages: “We know this incident has caused significant distress locally and our officers will remain in the area to provide reassurance and help where we can.

“This investigation is well under way but … it will take time to fully establish what has happened.”

Images from the site show a large hole burned through the roof of the building, which is a 19th-century former stationmaster’s house at the now closed Glendon and Rushton railway station.

It is a Grade II-listed building, according to the Historic England website.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.