
France’s Emmanuel Macron held his first phone call in months with Algerian leader Abdelmadjid Tebboune on Monday night, as the two sought to end a diplomatic standoff over Algeria’s refusal to take back its expelled nationals, the jailing of French-Algerian author Boualem Sansal and suspended security ties.
The conversation marked a potential turning point, with both leaders discussing a “reset” of relations.
Macron followed up on Tuesday by meeting key ministers. Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot is due in Algiers on 6 April, while Justice Minister Gérald Darmanin is also expected to visit soon.
Tebboune had previously said he wished to avoid "political commotion" in the relationship.
Since January, Macron has sent envoys from the Élysée to Algiers three times in a bid to quietly restore dialogue. A diplomatic source said it was the most recent of those visits “a few days ago” that led to Monday’s call.
With Franco-Algerian relations at an all-time low, can they get back on track?
Renewed dialogue
RFI’s Africa correspondent Guillaume Thibault said the phone call centred on rebuilding ties, with a mutual desire for “results”, particularly on migration.
A first concrete step is a meeting between France’s regional prefects and Algeria’s 18 consuls based in France. Paris said this was intended to “quickly restore more fluid migration cooperation”.
Those talks are expected to focus on enforcing the 1994 bilateral agreement, which states that Algeria must accept the return of its nationals who are subject to deportation orders.
Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau, speaking Tuesday at a public meeting in Maisons-Alfort near Paris, said he had “for the first time good hope” that Algeria would now apply the agreement “strictly”.
“This accord stipulates that Algeria must accept on its soil Algerian nationals” whom France wants to deport, he said. Retailleau also said he believed Sansal might “return” to France.
French-Algerian writer Boualem Sansal sentenced to five years in prison
A cautious shift
The diplomatic crisis had worsened steadily since late last year. Algeria's refusal to accept its own citizens and the Sansal case fuelled tensions, while French officials pressed for stricter enforcement of migration agreements.
Macron's decision to pursue quiet diplomacy signals a clear shift in strategy. While Retailleau had favoured a public, pressure-driven approach, Macron is now opting for behind-the-scenes negotiation.
This change in tone was welcomed in Algiers. President Tebboune had said his priority was "not falling into political commotion", and both governments appear to be acting on that sentiment.
Security cooperation is also expected to resume. Paris hopes to restart intelligence-sharing with Algerian services, particularly around terrorism in West Africa.
Meanwhile, the case of Boualem Sansal remains unresolved. His imprisonment has become a symbol of the broader breakdown in ties.
Observers say Macron is awaiting a gesture from Tebboune – possibly a pardon – as a sign of Algeria’s willingness to move forward.