Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Rob Williams & Andrew Bardsley

Body of man, 19, pulled from Salford Quays water on hottest day of the year

The body of a man was pulled from the water in Greater Manchester today following a big search effort.

Large numbers of police and fire fighters were at the scene on Salford Quays following concerns for a man in the water.

Shortly before 6pm Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they had been looking for a 19-year-old in the water for half an hour with no joy, Manchester Evening News reported.

A large cordon was placed around the pathway to the quays, blocking pedestrians from accessing the water.

At 7.40pm the body of the teenager was pulled from the water.

Have you been impacted by this incident? Email webnews@mirror.co.uk

A search has been launched for the teenager (MEN Media)

An investigation is under way and a file has been passed to the coroner.

Detective Inspector Helen Bagnall, of GMP's Trafford district, said: "Firstly our thoughts are with this young man's family and friends, and the people who witnessed the tragic events.

"Sadly, this proves how dangerous going into unfamiliar water can be, especially when you can't see below the surface of what could be very cold water."

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "At 4.35pm we received the first of several 999 calls in relation to a person needing to be rescued from water in Salford Quays.

"We have been searching the water for more than 30 minutes using fire service boats, divers and under water cameras - but we have not yet found the person.

"We continue to search the water supported by colleagues from Greater Manchester Police and North West Ambulance Service."

On what has been declared the hottest days of the year in England, The Quays were full of swimmers diving into the water.

A large emergency service presence is at the scene (MEN Media)
Divers and boats were deployed to try and find the teenager (MEN Media)

The Canal and Rivers Trust ‘strongly advises’ against going into water, as ‘there are too many risks that you can't see hidden below the surface’.

A police spokesperson said earlier this afternoon: "At about 4.40pm on Sunday 18 July, officers were called over concerns for a man in the water at Salford Quays.

"North West Ambulance Service and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service are also in attendance and the scene is ongoing."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.