Homes were evacuated in Bolton today after an 'item of concern' was uncovered at a flat where a man suffered facial burns last night. Police, fire crews and specialist explosive units rushed to Connaught Square shortly before 2pm, after the suspicious item was found.
Last night fire crews raced to the flat after a blaze broke out which was 'caused by batteries ', and a man was taken to hospital by paramedics after suffering burns to his face.
The police have since confirmed that both incidents are connected, and that the 'item of concern', which has not yet been disclosed, was discovered and assessed by specialist units. Neighbouring homes were then evacuated and the area was cordoned off for numerous hours on Thursday as investigations were made.
READ MORE ''Good riddance": Manchester doesn’t mourn Boris - but who replaces him?
Announcing the news shortly after 4pm, GMP's Bolton North branch announced: "We’re currently with colleagues from the fire service at an address on Connaught Square after a report of an item of concern. A number of nearby properties have been evacuated as a precaution while EOD make an assessment of the item."
The area was cordoned off for around two hours before it was then lifted and residents were told they could return to their homes. Following the blaze on Wednesday (July 6), multiple burnt batteries could be seen on the ground outside the apartments as well as what appeared to be a damaged sofa.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service previously said the settee caught alight inside a flat on Connaught Square at around 11.30pm on Wednesday and confirmed lithium-ion batteries were involved. The man, thought to be aged in his 40s, was rushed to hospital by paramedics after suffering burns to his face. No arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

In an updated statement on Thursday, a spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: "At 13:50 today firefighters were called to an incident on Connaught Square in Bolton after a report of an item of concern. Two fire engines from Bolton North and Bolton attended.
"Crews worked with Greater Manchester Police to evacuate nearby properties as a precaution Firefighters were in attendance for around 2 and a half hours"
Read more of today's top stories here
READ NEXT:
Inside the cheapest house you can buy in Greater Manchester that could be yours for just £15,000
Mother's fury after her 18-month-old was left with bump after smacking his head on a bus journey
Insults with your burger? A sweary night out at Karen’s Diner where the service is the pits
'Confused' cyclist rides wrong way along motorway into oncoming traffic