Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
Josh Leeson

Groovin The Moo festival tour cancelled due to insufficient ticket sales

There will be no Groovin The Moo festival in 2024. Picture by Marina Neil

IN a major blow to the Australian music festival scene, Groovin The Moo has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

The decision was announced on Wednesday afternoon to the shock of many industry insiders. Groovin The Moo was scheduled to take place at the Newcastle Foreshore for the first time on May 4.

The annual event was controversially moved to Newcastle last month after being a permanent fixture at Maitland Showground since 2006.

"We are extremely disappointed to announce that the Groovin the Moo 2024 tour has been forced to cancel," organisers said in a statement.

"Ticket sales have not been sufficient to deliver a regional festival of this kind. All tickets will be refunded automatically.

"Thank you to everybody who has supported the festival. We hope to be able to bring Groovin the Moo back to regional communities in the future.

"There will be no further comments from Groovin the Moo at this stage."

The several ticket releases for the Newcastle portion of the seven-leg regional tour - which includes Wayville, Canberra, Bendigo, Sunshine Coast, and Bunbury - sold out last week in less than an hour.

However, the Newcastle Herald understands ticket sales were softer than expected in other markets.

The 2024 Groovin The Moo was scheduled to feature international acts Melanie C (UK), The Beaches (CAN), The Kooks (UK), Kenya Grace (UK), Armani White (USA), The Beaches (CAN), Stephen Sanchez (USA), Claire Rosinkranz (UK), alongside Australian artists King Stingray, San Cisco, Jet, Alison Wonderland, Mallrat, DMA'S and The Jungle Giants.

Since its launch in 2005 at Gloucester, Groovin The Moo has been Australia's biggest touring regional music festival. Over the years the likes of Billie Eilish, Silverchair, The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, The Presets, Kaiser Chiefs and Fatboy Slim have graced the festival's stages.

The City of Newcastle lord mayor Nuatali Nelmes last month stated Groovin The Moo would be a driver for "boosting tourism" at the launch of the festival's new home.

On Wednesday council expressed its disappointment over the festival's cancellation.

"CN is disappointed that this major music festival will not be making its planned debut on the Newcastle Foreshore in May, which would have brought an expected 25,000 people to the city centre," a council spokesperson said.

"We were thrilled that Newcastle was chosen as a host city for this festival and the response fans made to this news, with the first and second ticket allocations selling out within 30 minutes of going on sale.

"This is testament to the appeal of Newcastle as a destination and its strategic positioning as an east coast regional hub for major events.

"CN remains committed to attracting and hosting major events as a primary driver of the local economy."

The cancellation of Groovin The Moo follows the demise of Newcastle's other major music festival, This That, last September.

This That was cancelled for a second straight year due to poor ticket sales and the event is not expected to return.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.