Refusing to respond to the Opposition which cited the allegation by Karnataka State Contractors’ Association that 40% commission was being demanded by various strata of State machinery from contractors executing public works, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister J.C. Madhuswamy on Tuesday said there was no evidence to the allegations.
“I am not aware of the allegation. There is no charge against the Government. If they have evidence against anybody, we can provide specific answers,” he said in the Legislative Council after Congress members raised the issue of commission, based on claims made by association office bearers, published in newspapers.
Why in Zero Hour?
The discussion on commission came up during Zero Hour after Congress Chief Whip Prakash Rathod raised the issue. The Law Minister also took objection to such an issue being allowed to be raised during Zero Hour, which is meant for legislators to raise pressing issues that have cropped up in the intervening hours of the legislature sittings – after the session is adjourned to the next day and before the House assembles again. “What answer can I give on this issue?” he asked.
Raising the issue, Mr. Rathod said that contractors’ association president Kempanna had stated that huge corruption is involved in works worth ₹25,000 crore. He has also said that legislators were taking a 15% cut. All these need to be probed by a judge or a joint house committee. Heated debate ensued for a while after the Congress said that the response of the Government was not satisfactory.
Threat of strike
It may be mentioned here that the contractors’ association has threatened to stage a massive protest rally in Bengaluru in April against the “kickback”. The association had last year written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking his intervention in the issue of kickbacks.