Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Barney Davis

Girl, 11, who went missing after entering River Thames named and pictured by police

An 11-year-old girl still missing after she entered the River Thames has been named and pictured by the Metropolitan Police as Kaliyah Coa.

Kaliyah, who had been playing with another young girl and boy during a school inset day, slipped into the water before a life ring could be thrown to her, residents said.

Shaleen Rajaendram, 59, said: “I heard upstairs a guy was screaming ‘wait there, wait, the police is coming’.”

Police released a photo of the missing 11-year-old (Met Police)

The schoolgirl entered the water near Barge House Causeway, near London City Airport in east London.

Kerry Benadjaoud said a male neighbour told her she had called police. She said: “But he said at the time he could see her (the girl’s) hands going down. So, by the time I got down there with the ring I couldn’t find her.”

The lifelong area resident said she discovered shoes, a sock, a coat and a phone near the river, and handed the items to the police.

Police helicopter searches for the girl off Barge House Road, east London (X/IG1IG3)

“Apparently she was paddling, so her socks and shoes were off, her coat, then she must have slipped and gone down”, she added.

Emergency services were called at 1.23pm on Monday with London Ambulance Service, London Fire Brigade, the RNLI and the Coastguard searching for the missing schoolgirl.

A police statement said officers are now leading a recovery mission along the Thames to find Kaliyah.

Chief Superintendent Dan Card said: “Our specialist officers are supporting Kaliyah’s family through this deeply upsetting time and our thoughts go out to all those impacted by what has happened.

Flowers left at the Barge House Causeway (PA)

“We are committed to finding Kaliyah and are working with partners to conduct a thorough search over a wide area – utilising drone technology and boats.

“I’d like to thank the members of public, our first responding officers, and colleagues from other emergency services, as they responded rapidly to carry out a large-scale search during a highly pressurised and distressing time.

“Equally we appreciate this has affected the wider community who have been extremely supportive. You will see extra officers in the area during the coming days – if you have any concerns then please speak to them.”

If anyone has any relevant information they wish to share, please contact 101, quoting 3699/31Mar. If it is an emergency, dial 999.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.