Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Clea Skopeliti

Five dead and four injured after deadly blast at coal mine in Spain

An explosion in a mine in northern Spain on Monday morning has killed five people and left four injured, emergency services have said.

Firefighters, mining rescue personnel and police attended the scene of the incident in the Cerredo mine in Degaña on Monday.

The regional government of Asturias said that two of the injured people had been transferred to Ponferrada, a city in the neighbouring autonomous region of Castilla y León, to be treated for burns. Another was taken to Cangas del Narcea, in the Asturias region, with a head injury.

Two further people were uninjured in the accident, according to Asturias's emergency services.

Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez offered his condolences to the relatives of the deceased and thanked emergency workers.

"My heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims of the mine accident in Degaña, Asturias. And I wish a speedy recovery to those injured. Thanks to the emergency services working on the rescue efforts," Sánchez said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.