Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
James Liddell

Father and son sue the state of Oregon over ‘barbaric’ circumcisions

Attorney Eric Clopper, photographed at Intact Global’s inaugural conference last week, filed the suit Thursday - (Intact Global)

Several men circumcised at birth are suing the state of Oregon for allegedly “stealing” their bodily autonomy while also arguing that a current genital mutilation law discriminates against boys.

California-based attorney Eric Clopper filed the lawsuit last week on behalf of Cecil Mininger and his teenage son, as well as brothers Carter and Landon Moody, in Multnomah County Circuit Court in Portland. The plaintiffs all had their foreskins surgically removed as infants within the state, according to the filing.

The 76-page document alleges that boys have been neglected by the state and asks for equal protection under a law that bans female genital mutilation. The current law, it says, which only protects women from genital cutting, is a violation of the state constitution’s Equal Rights Amendment and Equal Protection Clause.

The suit urges the court to either ban genital cutting procedures for children of any gender or overturn the statute entirely.

Parents currently have the choice to decide whether or not to have their newborn son circumcised, with the procedure not legally mandated anywhere in the U.S.

The lawsuit was filed in the Multnomah County Circuit Court in Portland last week (Steve Morgan)

However, the suit argues that victims of male genital cutting could sue their circumcisers. It claimed that the procedure has become “medicalized” in the U.S. but provides few health benefits and inhibits healthy sexual function.

“This lawsuit is about one simple, urgent principle: equal protection under the law,” Clopper, who founded Intact Global, a non-profit that says it stands against non-religious genital mutilation that is funding the suit, wrote in a statement on the organization’s website Friday.

“If Oregon protects girls from non-consensual genital cutting, it must protect boys and intersex children too. Anything less is unconstitutional.”

Acting local counsel Lake Perriguey, a civil rights lawyer who fought to overturn Oregon’s ban on gay marriage in 2014, described the procedure on young boys as “barbaric.”

“It is quite barbaric and strange that we in America cut non-consenting children at a very early age without any medical necessity,” he told The Oregonian Monday.

Male circumcision is practiced across multiple faith groups, including within Judaism and Islam.

More than 70 percent of males in the U.S. have been circumcised – more than doubling the rate of the rest of the world, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Most circumcisions occur within the first week after birth.

The Independent has contacted Clopper for more information.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.