Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Jasper Bruce

'Embarrassed' Raiders apologise for Vegas dust-up

Hudson Young has apologised for his part in the Las Vegas elevator incident. (Lukas Coch/AAP PHOTOS)

The two Canberra players who fought each other after a night out in Las Vegas are "embarrassed" about pulling focus from the NRL's showpiece event.

Hudson Young and Morgan Smithies fronted the press on Tuesday morning (AEDT) to apologise for the fracas that took place in an elevator at Resorts World on Thursday night.

It's believed the two forwards began fighting when one was left without a hotel room on return from a night out.

Hotel security attended the scene and found what was thought to be a weapon, but was later revealed as an inflatable baseball bat. 

Police were not called and the pair have both been named to line up against the Warriors on Sunday (AEDT) for the first game of the new NRL season.

Young came up short when touring media asked why he and Smithies should be allowed to remain in Vegas.

"I don't really know, but we've dealt with it internally as a club," he said.

"I'm just sorry for my actions on Thursday night and look forward to playing on Saturday.

"I'm embarrassed for myself, our teammates, the NRL and the game."

On reviewing security footage, staff briefly asked Young and Smithies to leave Resorts World, where the NRL's players and staff are staying during rugby league's second annual trip to Vegas.

They have since returned and patched up a friendship that has blossomed since Smithies arrived at the Raiders for the 2024 season.

Morgan Smithies of the Raiders.
Morgan Smithies (pic) and Hudson Young have both been selected to play against the Warriors. (Dan Himbrechts/AAP PHOTOS)

"We're best mates. It was honestly nothing," Young said.

"He was at mine for Christmas and our partners are travelling America at the moment, so there's no issues there."

Ricky Stuart, known as one of the NRL's toughest coaches, has addressed the two men.

"We were disappointed in ourselves, so obviously he's going to be disappointed in us," said English international Smithies.

"But we apologised. We're just looking to move on and focus on this week. Obviously it's a massive week, so we're just looking to put it to bed."

The dust-up comes after the Raiders and Warriors both confirmed last week they would not impose a curfew on players ahead of this weekend's fixtures at Allegiant Stadium.

The dust-up is the NRL's first off-field incident in Vegas, though Spencer Leniu's on-field racial attack on Ezra Mam cast a pall over last season's trip.

Canberra finished ninth and missed finals last season, despite impressive defeats of heavyweights Penrith and the Sydney Roosters late in the year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.