Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Dom Smith

Crystal Palace: Oliver Glasner reveals 'talks on the way' over Dougie Freedman replacement

Negotiations: Oliver Glasner has been in talks over a new contract at Crystal Palace - (Action Images via Reuters)

Oliver Glasner says he will be consulted over who replaces Dougie Freedman as Crystal Palace’s new sporting director and has revealed that “talks are on the way”.

It was revealed almost a fortnight ago that Freedman, who previously both played for and managed Palace, is resigning after eight years as sporting director of the club.

In that time, he has led on recruitment and helped to bring the likes of Eberechi Eze, Marc Guehi, Adam Wharton and Michael Olise, now at Bayern Munich, to Selhurst Park.

Freedman is understood to be leaving his role on Monday and expected to take a job in Saudi Arabia, with Glasner insisting that Palace will work hard to find the right replacement and that he will be involved in the process.

Exit: Sporting director Dougie Freedman is leaving Selhurst Park after eight years (Getty Images)

“Dougie and me have always talked every day or every other day,” Glasner said ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup quarter-final clash with Fulham. “I was always involved in the process. It didn’t come as a surprise to me. He was here eight years and he was looking for a new and different challenge.

“I think this move is for him and his family. There is no disappointment, because Dougie was always quite open.”

Asked whether he will have a say in Freedman’s replacement, Glasner replied: “Yes, of course. Talks are on the way. But we started weeks ago with our recruitment and what we maybe have to do or want in the summer. I’m pretty sure we’ll do the right things.

“It’s a new situation for the club if a very important person leaves after eight years. But I’m pretty sure the things we want to get done will get done.”

Glasner himself is out of contract in 2026. He is admired by both Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig, who could sack manager Marco Rose in the coming weeks or months.

Palace are working on a new deal for Glasner, but he was not willing to divulge the latest.

“With so much going on, there are more important things at the club right now than my personal situation,” he said.

“I have more than one year on my contract. I feel responsible now to fill the gap Dougie is leaving, with (chairman) Steve [Parish].

“I’m at least under contract until next summer. Of course we are talking about the summer, but this has nothing to do with the duration of my contract.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.