A major step forward has been taken in the long-running bus driver walk out across Merseyside that could lead to strikes being brought to an end.
Following a series of talks held between the unions and Arriva today, the bus operator has tabled what it calls “an improved offer” with members to vote on the proposals next week. Should the members of Unite and GMB accept the new offer, the more than three-week-long walkouts could be ended.
On Monday, both sides confirmed a deal could not be reached with no sign of new talks after negotiations broke down. In a statement this afternoon, Arriva said all parties wanted to see drivers back on the buses on Wednesday.
READ MORE: Mayor calls for action on 'cost of living catastrophe'
A spokesperson said: “Following re-convened pay negotiations today, Arriva has tabled an improved offer that has enabled Unite the Union and GMB to ballot members on this offer. The ballot will take place on Monday, 15th and Tuesday, 16th August 2022.
"All parties are working hard to bring the industrial action to a conclusion with the desire to resume service on Wednesday, 17th August.” The ongoing strike over drivers’ pay has meant there have been no Arriva services across Merseyside for more than three weeks.
The Arriva dispute is one of a number resulting in strike action across the region. There have also been rail strikes organised by the RMT and ASLEF unions, post office workers have also walked out on strike.
Next week contract staff at the Liverpool-based Disclosure and Barring Service will strike for six days. Arriva drivers, represented by the UNITE and GMB unions, said they require a decent pay rise in order to keep up with spiralling inflation and the soaring cost of living.
During last week’s meet between the two sides, Arriva claimed a 'generous' new offer was made of an 8.5% rise, backdated to March. This offer was dismissed outright by the unions, who described it as an insult.
The company said in a statement last Friday it was always its to give drivers a rise, but any such increase “has to be affordable in order to protect jobs for the long-term and sustain our network.”
Yesterday, Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram, Mayor of Liverpool Joanne Anderson and council leaders and Members of Parliament from across the region came together in a joint call for action from the major bus operator that will end the strike and get buses back on the streets of Merseyside.
READ NEXT
Cricket club's winter events plans met with online backlash
First 12 streets in Liverpool to get new underground super-bins
Date set for Oh Me Oh My meeting over premises licence
City centre aparthotel row rolls on as planning bosses urged to look again